Request for Applications: Diagnostics for COVID-19
The South African Medical Research Council( SAMRC), through its Strategic Health Innovation Partnerships (SHIP) Program, in collaboration with the Department of Science and Innovation (DSI) and the Technology Innovation Agency (TIA), is seeking proposals for the development of local diagnostics and reagents for COVID-19.
The aim of this Request for Applications is to support the development of local capacity to supply reagents for existing gold standard COVID-19 testing as well as to offer rapid alternatives for the direct detection of the virus.
The proposals must address one or more of the following focus areas and should aim to deliver functional prototypes within 4-6 months:
- The development and validation of a locally resourced supply chain for components and/or kits for safe viral RNA extraction for RT-PCR or sample processing for antigen-based testing;
- The development and validation of locally resourced nucleic acid amplification-based assay reagents/kits for detection of SARS-CoV-2, including the necessary assay controls, enzymes and primers;
- The development of novel tests that can rapidly detect the presence of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, preferably at the point of care. These do not include tests for the presence of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies but could include, for example (but are not limited to):
- Rapid technologies/formats for RT-PCR-based testing
- Alternatives to PCR testing that also detect the presence of the viral genetic material
- Rapid tests that detect the presence of the SARS-CoV-2 viral proteins and/or virus particles
Click here for more information and requirements.
Deadline: 29 May 2020